Monday, November 17, 2008

Ship Thumbnails and Profiles

I thought I was going to get a little further today, but Rock Band 2 and Spore had other ideas. In any case, here's a couple pages of very quick ship sketches.



I focused primarily the ship profile since that's what the player will be seeing 99% of the time. I was also tossing around name ideas in my head and I think I'm going to go with "Deep Blue" for now. I know...it was the name of that chess playing computer but it sounded unspecific enough for a game that right now doesn't have many specifics about it. I like it because of it's unlimited possibilities (other than the fact that it sounds like it deals with something deep underwater).



With that in mind, I put together a few type studies for both title treatments and UI type. That helped narrow down the direction a little more. When I began I basically had three possible approaches to the look and feel of the game.
1) Targeted at Kids, fun, "happy bubble underwater game"
2) Arrggggg, "There be pirates!" approach
3) Sleek High Tech, "Seaquest 2010"

Based on the direction most of the ship profile sketches had taken and the fact that at its heart, it's an arcade shooter game, I veered away from the "Happy bubble" and "Pirate" games and more toward the "Seaquest 2010" look.

The good news is, this early on if something pops up and screams..."this just isn't going the right direction", it's not going to be too terribly tough to change.

No comments: