Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hmmmm....membership fees

So today I get hit with a reminder that I think XNA, as a program is great, but membership fees for XNA is a bit...well...odd. I recently read that Activision...uh make that Activision/Blizzard or Blizzard/Activision depending on whos really paying the bills, but anyhow THEY recently announced that they may actually try a subscription model with Guitar Hero World Tour's Studio content.

Let's get this straight, Activision is going to charge me a fee...for the privilege of downloading game content that they didn't even create. I figure that makes about as much sense as YouTube charging me to watch videos.

All this of course comes about because my XNA premium membership expired today. Let me restate that I really like XNA as a source of community generated games, but it still, in the back of my mind strikes me a little...odd...that I'm paying a fee for the privilege of creating games. Yes, the tools are "free", or maybe their not depending on how you look at it.

In any case, no more builds to the 360 until Thursday when I'll set up the next 4 months.

In other news I finished Halflife 2 on the 360 this evening. This was my third time through the game, but the first time on the 360.

No comments: