Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Quick Start

In an effort to get things rolling as quickly as possible I put together rough concept art for the background and ship. It would be my version of "programmer art". The idea here is to get something playable as soon as possible so I can really start toying around with possibilities and testing what works and what doesn't work in terms of game play.

So I've got a nice simple underwater background and a single seat submarine for the player. I create a new Windows project in Visual Studio C# 2005 and begin to import my basic assets. I'm using XNA Studio 2.0 even though version 3.0 was recently released simply because it's already proven and established.

It only took an hour or so to get the background and the ship drawn on the screen with a basic control scheme to move the sub around. The rest of the time I spent concepting the story and actual vehicle designs.

No comments: